This is the official source for emergency information from the CVRD.
This is where the CVRD will post notices about local emergency declarations, emergency evacuation alerts, orders and rescinds and updates from the Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) if the EOC is active.
BOOKMARK this page for future reference.
The CVRD has established a Regional District Services Restoration Plan, a coordinated corporate strategy to reopen facilities and restore program and service delivery.
Stage 1 of the restoration plan, effective mid-May to mid-June. Please visit the COVID-19 Information page for details and links to resources.
Evacuation Alerts, Orders and Rescinds
There are currently no evacuation alerts or orders.
This white logo rotating on the homepage indicates there is no major emergency or disaster in the region at this time. If there is no major emergency, this logo may be replaced by other more pressing issues.
This yellow logo rotating on the homepage indicates that there is an emergency occurring such as a wildfire, flood or other situation and this is where you can get up-to-date information on the situation and its potential impacts.
Update - March 13, 2020
The CVRD has established a Regional Emergency Operations Centre (REOC) to assess and respond to the public safety risk posed by COVID-19. Please read the News Release for more information.
Please visit our dedicated page for information about COVID-19 (Coronavirus).
Updates - February 14, 2020
Updates - February 6, 2020
Extension of State of Local Emergency
Updates - February 5, 2020
Disaster Financial Assistance Available
Updates - February 2, 2020
State of Local Emergency Remains in Effect
Updates - February 1, 2020
The Cowichan Valley Regional District declared a state of local emergency for the region, as widespread flooding forced resident evacuations and cut off key transportation corridors. Please see the links below for more information:
What You Can Do to Stay Up-To-Date
Monitor before an emergency happens:
- River Forecast Centre – for flood and freshet conditions and advisories
- BC Wildfire – for fire danger information
- ECCC (weather) – BC weather conditions and forecasts
Stay informed during active emergency events:
- Right here, on the CVRD Emergency Information page
- BC Wildfire – for current wildfire activity
- MOE Spills Info – for spill incident overviews
- Emergency Info BC – for provincial advisories
- Local radio stations and newspaper
To report specific types of hazards:
- Potential floods, landslides, spills or other hazards (24 hr): Provincial reporting line: 1-800-663-3456
- Wildfire: BC Wildfire reporting line: 1-800-663-5555 or *5555 on a cell
- Downed power lines or other electrical hazards: BC Hydro 1-800-224-9376 or *HYDRO (*49376) on your mobile or 911 if there is an immediate fire hazard.
- A gas leak: FortisBC Emergency Line: 1-800-663-9911 or 911
- A problem on a highway: Drive BC
Being prepared will help you and your family get through a disaster. Visit the Emergency Preparedness page for helpful tips and resources.