Sport Event Grants
The Cowichan Valley Regional District plays a vital role in promoting sports in the Cowichan Region, as evidenced by involvement in major events including 2008 North American Indigenous Games, National Aboriginal Hockey, Hometown Hockey and the Cowichan 2018 BC Summer Games.
In 2016, the CVRD introduced several Sport Tourism initiatives committed to providing sports organizations with resources and support. These include a comprehensive website, databases of facilities, clubs and contacts, an events calendar, an inventory of event hosting equipment, and the Sport Tourism hosting booklet – all for use at no charge.
In 2018, the CVRD Board approved providing up to $30,000 in grants to individual sports organizations and businesses to enhance sport event activity in the region.
Please review the following criteria and complete the online Grant Application.
Required criteria that must be met to receive consideration for funding:
- Financial incentives provided will support a Vancouver Island, Provincial, National or International event.
- The event can be a tournament, championship, showcase, training camp, or similar. Preference will be given to championship or titled events.
- The event will have direct, local economic impact.
- Services and facilities within the Cowichan Valley Regional District will be used.
- The CVRD is to be recognized as a sponsor or contributor in all promotional and marketing materials.
- A post event report must be provided, outlining financial and community impact.
Elements that will assist in determining the level of funding:
- Potential financial, social and community impact.
- Evidence of management and fiscal responsibility (example: business and marketing plan, sound financial controls, reasonable budget).
- Evidence of proactive and innovative approach demonstrating respect for the environment.
- Involvement from other community partners.
- Preference given to championship or titled events.
- Preference given to non-profit organizations.
Range of funding:
- Grant amounts range from $500 to $3000 per event application.
Phased awarding of funding:
- 80% of the grant will be awarded immediately, and 20% upon receipt of final report.
- Application intake deadlines for 2019 are April 1 (for events July 1- December 31, 2019) and October 1 (for events January 1 to June 30, 2020).
- The Sport Grant Approval Sub Committee will meet twice a year to evaluate applications.
Use of funds:
- Grant funding is to be used for event-specific expenses only. Not to be used for general or operating revenue.
Remember to submit your event details to the Sport Event Calendar.
If you have questions, please call 250.510.0649 or email us.